Who are we?
We provide free, independent legal advice and support to anybody considering sharing their experiences with the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide. We have staff across Australia who deliver a trauma-informed service. We are independent of the Royal Commission.
What do we do?
We provide free and confidential legal advice to members of the public, including Australian Defence Force personnel and veterans, their families, carers, and supporters, about:
- taking part in the Royal Commission
- your legal rights when sharing information with the Royal Commission
- available legal protections when sharing information with the Royal Commission.
We can talk to you about how you can:
- share your experiences in a safe way
- keep your experiences and participation in the Royal Commission confidential
- overcome barriers you might face in sharing your experiences.
We can also:
- support you to make your submission
- support you in a private session
- connect you with other services, like counselling, advocacy, and other legal support not related to the Royal Commission.
Call the Defence and Veterans Legal Service on 1800 33 1800 or visit our website defenceveteranslegalservice.org.au
If you need an interpreter, we can arrange one for you for free. Tell us your language and we will organise it for you.
f you are hearing or speech impaired you can contact us by calling the national relay service (NRS) on 133 677 or TTY 02 9219 5126.
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
All our resources are free. Email us to order copies of this publication.
Publication date: 27 October 2021
Publication type: Brochure